The original railway station was built in 1870, and the first test train on the Košice-Bohumín railway pulled into the station on 20 December 1870. The station was two storeys high and was gradually extended when side-wings were added at the ground floor level. Between 1939 and 1942 a new administrative building was built on the site of the original station building. It was designed by the architect František Eduard Bednárik and his brother-in-law Ferdinand Čapek. Their architectural style can be seen in this building, particularly the pillared awning over the main entrance.
Today there is a plaque on the left-hand side of the main entrance of the railway station building. It is in commemoration of the Interhelpo manufacturing and industrial cooperative train that departed Žilina for the Soviet Union to help build industries in Central Asia. In the railway station entrance hall there is a plaque devoted to railway workers who died in World War II. There are four metal reliefs running along the top of the side walls and on both sides of the medial wall. One is by Vladimir Kompánek, another two are by Andrej Rudavský and the fourth was created by Rudolf Uher. They were installed in the 1960s.
The station windows consist of five stained glass windows depicting the town’s coat of arms and local dress from various areas of the former Žilina region. The stained glass of the Liptov and Orava regions was created in 1955 by the painter Robert Dúbravec, while the stained glass of the Čičmany and Kysuca districts was created in 1956 by painter Fero Kráľ who had worked in Žilina since 1945. The stained glass centre-piece of Žilina region dates from 1956.
Source: Mgr. Peter Štanský and Milan Novák
It can be visited
■ exterior during a guided tour of TIO Žilina.
Position of the monument on the map: C3