Kalov Street No. 10
Žilina Industrial Corporation commenced construction on this double floor art-nouveau building with a pointed roof and two side towers (at first it was named after the Corporation) on land donated by the town.
The building was put into operation in 1910. Later, an inscription Gabriel Baross´s House of Artisans (1848 - 1892) was added. Gabriel Baross, born at Pružina near Považská Bystrica, was the Hungarian minister of public works and transport. He played an important part in the railway transport development and modernisation. From 1889 – 1892, he worked as the Minister of Trade, established the Industrial Bank and supported industry and education. He was active in founding the cloth factory in Žilina.
The gable of the building bears his statue and two reliefs of 17 figures symbolising different crafts - examples being a smith and his helper, millers, tailors – which can be seen at the sides below the turrets. Later, the building housed several schools. Currently, the building is under reconstruction and is a private property. Near the House of Artisans there is a fountain "Žilina‘s virgins" by the sculptor and artist Vladimír Kompánek, which was originally placed under the balustrade in Andrej Hlinka Square.
Source: TIO Žilina (researched from academic literature).
It can be visited
■ is not open to the public
■ during a guided tour of TIO Žilina.
Position of the monument on the map: C3
Number of the monument on the map: 12