This street was built at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. It linked the station of the Košice-Bohumín Railway to the town centre. It was originally named after Lajos Kossuth, then T. G. Masaryk, then Andrej Hlinka, then the Slovak National Uprising. Its present name can be translated “Nation Street”. Private houses were built on both sides of the street with shops on the ground floor. Notable buildings included the District Court of the Kingdom of Hungary (at No. 11), the Hustý (later Eva) department store and the Polom Hotel. Between the wars the Pálka Art Gallery held exhibitions at No. 28. The building with a tower was built by the entrepreneur Grün and at the beginning of the 20th century it housed a branch of the Hungarian Ministry of Agriculture with responsibility for the Trenčín, Orava, Liptov and Zvolen counties, and for a while it was the seat of the Minister Plenipotentiary for the Administration of Slovakia. It later became a furniture store and a branch of the Poľnohospodárska banka. The first plans to exclude vehicles from the street were made in 1950 but complete pedestrianisation took until 1970.
Source: Mgr. Jozef Moravčík
It can be visited
■ exterior during a guided tour of TIO Žilina.
Position of the monument on the map: C3