In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the municipal estate land was situated behind the Upper Gate. There were agricultural buildings here, as well as accommodation for town servants and guards. The latter were in charge of protecting municipal pastures, fields and forests, as well as protecting town property and ensuring the safety of its inhabitants. In 1849 there was a building for shepherds and a malt-house building belonging to Benjamín Kalinaj which housed 35 people. In total, there were 12 houses here and the street was called Majerská – Platea majer. As the town grew, these agricultural buildings came to hinder the town’s further expansion and so they needed to be demolished. At that time, the town did not have enough school buildings. At the end of the nineteenth century, the adjacent plot of land was used by the town for the fire brigade, where they had their own building and a wall for drying out hoses. The firemen remained here until the construction of their premises in the former Ďurčanský brickworks (today’s Fireman’s Square) from 1949 to 1953.
In 1912, the construction of the Hungarian State Girls’ Town School began on the site of the estate land, in lieu of the agricultural buildings and other houses, and lasted until 1919. By that time, the street was no longer called Majerská, but Sugarova – Sugar utca. It was renamed Romuald Zaymus street in February 1919.
The Hungarian State Girls’ Town School was founded in the town in 1904 but stood in a different place. After 1919, this school on Zaymus street became co-educational, i.e. it took on boys and was called the Mixed State Town School. During the period of the Slovak Republic it was called the Boys’ State Town School.
In 1949 the street was renamed Konevová after the Red Army marshal. It returned to its original name, Romuald Zaymus street, in 1992. In 1949 the school changed its name to First Mixed Secondary School, and from 1953 it was the 1st Eight-year Secondary School, one of four in town, and after 1961 it had nine years. From 1956 to 1957 new classrooms and a gymnasium were built on the present-day Komenský street on the site where the original fire brigade buildings stood.
In 2003, the school was transformed into a religious school. The building and land were sold by the town of Žilina to the Church for 1 Sk, following a decree by the town council on February 20th 2006. At present, its founder is the Diocese of Žilina. The school is named after the important Roman Catholic priest Romuald Čestislav Zaymus (7. 2. 1828 – 19. 7. 1902, who worked in Bytčica) and is consecrated to the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The last renovation of the building took place from 2010 to 2012.
The school building is included in the List of Heritage Monuments in Žilina as number 12 following a proposal approved by Žilina’s municipal councilors on August 24th 2009. The proposal gave the building’s architectural value as justification, including a detailed description of its present state, declaring that the building’s shape and size match the height of the Žilina’s City Heritage Reservation Zone.
Source: Mgr. Jozef Moravčík, Mgr. Peter Štanský
It can be visited
■ exterior during a guided tour of TIO Žilina.
Position of the monument on the map: B4/ B5