The first mention of the Old Town Hall is from 1508. The town of Žilina led a dispute over its ownership with the owner of the Strečno estate. Only in 1509 did it pass into the hands of the city of Žilina. The city government, the night watch, a prison and an archive were established here.
Townhouse 2 was originally built in Renaissance style, but at the end of the 19th century, it was rebuilt in a style like the other houses. The earliest one dates back to 1779.
It is situated on the eastern side of St Mary’s Square near the town hall. In the eighteenth century, it belonged to the importantSlatíni squire family of Žilina which included the mayors Ján and Ladislav. In 1779, the owner of the house was Zuzana Slatíni, at that time already married to Mikuláš Ségi.
The most famous butcher’s in Žilina was a butcher’s called "At Hrabovec’s", owned by Aloiz Hrabovec, a famous butcher from Žilina. The house and shop were named after him. Even after nationalisation and even now despite the building being used for different purposes, it is still called "At Hrabovec’s".
Originally consisting of houses numbers 5, 6, and 7, this terrace no longer exists. The terrace was given descriptive number 5. In the past, these were dwellings built in Renaissance style, and their owners changed frequently. The first known owner of number 5 was the Tomčáni family.
This house was particularly well-known because it was home to the Golden Eagle, a well-known Žilina pharmacy. It had originally belonged to Mikuláš Skalka, a minor squire, in the 18th century. It was sold for a mere 950 gold coins in 1766.
Townhouse number 7 was less notable. In the 18th century, the house was owned by Matej Čepan, and then it belonged to his widow Barbara Pergelova, and later Ján Sutery. During the 19th century it was the property of the David family.
The last house is a corner house on the Town Hall side of the square. The Skalkas, a family of significance, lived here in the 18th century. They lived in the building until 1775 when it was purchased from Anna Skalková by Ondrej Jonáš. At the beginning of the 19th century the Ďuriš family became the new owners of the house.
It is a corner house with one side facing on to Hodžova Street. According to a local legend, there used to be a building here with arelay station and pub for wayfarers at the back.
This former terraced townhouse was built on the original stone cellars. Initial information on this and the other building comes from the State Archives in Bytča – Žilina branch. Archive workers have carefully guarded Žilina’s rich historical source – the Books of transactions from the years 1732 to 1850.
The first record of the building dates from the 18th century, when it was owned by the Krutek family. It belonged to the family until Štefan Krutek sold to Ján Valášek. But by 1810 the owner had become Jozef Bartošík.
The townhouse at Mariánske Square is situated in a block of semidetached houses that borders on the square on the south, Hodžova Street on the east, Mydlárska Street on the north, and Sládkovičova Street on the west. The front façade faces the Mariánske Square. In the back part of the same plot there is another two-floor building at Mydlárska No. 7.
This house is associated with the Tombor family in particular, who owned it in the 19th century. Ignác Tombor, an important pharmacist in Žilina bought the house for his own family to live in. He was also the father-in-law of Žilina historian Alexander Lombardini.
In the eighteenth century, the neighbouring house belonged to the important Žilina families of Janáči and Tamáši. In 1766, it was valued at 800 florins. It then came into the possession of Štefan Tamáši’s heirs. From 1825, the owner of the house was his son Štefan, and from 1839 Štefan’s son-in-law Anton Macko.
Architectural style: early 16th century, then altered in the 17th century, the facade was changed and the house was rebuilt in the 19th century, the basement is Gothic, the ground floor and first floor are Renaissance.
Formerly a terraced townhouse built on the original vaulted stone cellar. The history of the house is one of frequent ownership change. The house was bought from Elizabeta Bánovská by Michal Klebloth in 1751.
In the eighteenth century, this house belonged to the Janáč family, followed by the Slatíni squire family, two of whom became mayors: Ján and Ladislav. Ladislav held the office of mayor from 1760 to 1774, four times in total. Ladislav Slatíni was the owner of the house from 1751 to 1779, then his heirs sold it to Samuel Dlabač for 600 florins.
In 1779, the building belonged to Daniel David. He sold it in 1797 to the widow of Ondrej Haan for 690 florins. The house was then owned by her son Jozef. Further owners of the house were Andrej Kianička and from 1837 Anna Kováčiková.
Its first known owner was Ondre Trtoll in 1574. Further owners were in 1595 Ján Sotňa,1615 Matej Sotňa, 1662 Juraj Sotňa. The house was called “Sotňovský”; in 1666 it was owned by Eliaš Urbanovič. From 1693 it was owned by Ondrej Bivolíni, but in 1718 Michal Zlínsky obtained it from him.
According to Alexander Lombardini, a well-known Žilina historian (19th century), this house belonged to Francis II Rákoci in 1705. There is, however, no record of this in the town’s archives, so we can but presume that this information is based on the legend that the Kuruc anti-Habsburg rebels occupied Žilina during the Francis II Rákoci uprising in 1703.
In the sixteenth century, the house belonged to the Turský squires, but the first owner is mentioned in 1566 as Uršula Matušková. In 1602 it was bought by Ján Mlynárik, then owned from 1647 by Juraj Stráňavský, then Jakub Gutt and from 1689 to 1717 by Mikuláš Cibulka.
The Church of the Conversion of St Paul the Apostle and the Capuchin Monastery occupy five of the original lots occupied by individual burgher’s houses. These houses were purchased by the Society of Jesus - the Jesuits.
The house that stands today was originally composed of two separate buildings. The last owner of the detached house next to the residence of the Jesuits was Juraj Beniač. His widow then sold the building in 1774 to the Strečno estate which owned the neighbouring building.
Townhouse 25 is located on the corner of Štúr and Vurum streets. The first known owner of the house was the Kadaši family. Unfortunately, the only information we have is from a relatively late period of history - the 18th century. Earlier information is not yet available. The family sold the building to František Suňoga.
The earliest information we have about the house dates from the 18th century. It belonged to the Tamáši and Kubica families, until the end of the 18th century. Mgr. Petr Štanský, an expert on Žilina’s buildings believes there was a change of ownership at the beginning of the 19th century, when the owner of the house became Jozef Folkmonn.
The first known owners were the Rajčáni family in the 18th century. However, the house was sold in 1752 to Mikuláš Kubica for1255 gold coins. The Kubica family owned the building until 1786, when it was bought by Juraj Dlabač from Ondrej Kubica’s heirs.
In the eighteenth century, the house was owned by the important Košela squire family which gave Žilina several mayorsfrom the sixteenth century onwards. It was one of the richest families in the town, and was even given aristocratic status in1610 by King Matej II. The mayors were Gašpar, Baltazár and Ján.
The first known owner was the noble Stráňavský family in the 18th century. Several of Žilina’s appointed mayors came from this family. The first was Štefan in 1619. In 1751 the house became the property of Jozef Hauer and his wife. They bought it for823 gold coins.
The house was built on an original medieval plot from the period, when the town ground plan and the town historical core were formed. The original building had two wings and probably two floors. On the left side there was a passage leading into the plot.
In the 18th century this townhouse belonged to an important Žilina family – the Hrabovskýs, who owned more than one house on the square. They therefore sold the house to the town on 9 June 1731 for the relatively large sum of 520 gold coins. Since that time “Žilinci” (as the locals of Žilina are known) have referred to the house as “the town house”.
From the beginning of the eighteenth century until 1731 the house belonged to Matej Cepan, but his descendants Alojz Fluck and his sister exchanged it in 1788 with Jozef Karas, who also paid them another 200 florins. The latter had a dyeing workshop here which he sold in 1807 to his son Jozef for 3000 florins. The next owner, until 1848, was Anton Kalin, themayor of Žilina from 1834 to 1838.