The building, which is now PARS guesthouse, belonged to the railway colony built after 1870, when Žilina became a stop on the new Košice-Bohumín railway. At that time the railway company acquired a large plot of land not only for building the railway line and station, but also in the surrounding area, especially between what are now P. O. Hviezdoslava, 1. mája and Jána Milca streets. The Košice-Bohumín railway built a colony of at least eight houses with basements where its employees and their families lived. The colony also had a staff hostel (dormitory), for those who only stayed in Žilina when on duty on the railway (engine-drivers, senior conductors, conductors, etc.). The archive records show that four or five families lived in each house. Part of one of these houses survived until 1964 and was renovated when construction began on the Military Faculty of the Transport College. When the school was being constructed, the soccer field and swimming pool belonging to ŠK Rapid sports club were also demolished.
At present, the building is home to the Faculty of Special Engineering, the Institute of Forensic Engineering and the Institute of Continuing Education at the University of Žilina. The other part of the colony and the old dormitory were renovated during construction of the administration building of the then Czechoslovak State Railways (now the Railways of the Slovak Republic). In one of the new buildings there was a new dining room and a dormitory for train crews (senior conductors and conductors) and when necessary drivers could also sleep here.
Only PARS guesthouse remains out of all the houses in the old colonies. It was originally number 449. In 1938 four families, a total of 12 people, lived here. The house was rectangular, with a basement and entrance in the centre of the building. It was made of brickwork - red bricks. From the 1950s until 2008 the house served as the railway nursery school. In 2009 to 2010 the whole building was completely reconstructed and rebuilt as a restaurant and hotel rooms. There is also a garden with a terrace and car park. The guesthouse provides comfortable accommodation and meals for 30 people in twin, triple and four-bedded rooms. Each room has a shower, hand basin and toilet en-suite. There is also a lounge with seating for 60.
Source: Mgr. Peter Štanský and Milan Novák
It can be visited
■ exterior during a guided tour of TIO Žilina.
Position of the monument on the map: D4