Andrej Hlinka Square
Andrej Hlinka Square (also called Štefánik Square and Square of the Slovak National Uprising) can be found below the Church of the Holy Trinity.
It lies in the original Váh river–basin area which was changed to fields by the citizens of Žilina. Even early in the 20th century, the Všivák stream flowed through the square. Nowadays it flows under ground.
In the 17th century a brewery and a town butchery were built there. The history of Andrej Hlinka Square from the period prior to the 19th century is currently incomplete as despite the restoration in the 1990s, a comprehensive archaeological research has yet to be carried out. The original fields are replace by the square paving at the junction of eight streets. The most important street is National Street (Národná ulica). In the square, there is a statue of Andrej Hlinka (1864 – 1938), the leader of the Slovak nation. The bronze statue, designed by the sculptor Ladislav Berák, shows Andrej Hlinka in larger than life–size dimensions (5 m).
In Andrej Hlinka Square in Slovak National Uprising Park (Park Slovenského národného povstania), there is the restored Hotel Astoria, built in 1927. Spanyol ´s House, built in 1920, was originally situated opposite it where now stands the VÚB bank building. It was named after its owner Vojtech Spanyol, the founder of the Eye Clinic of Žilina. From 1902 – 1908, the oldest park in Žilina was created between the stream Všivák and the villa area. The bandstand was built in the park too.
Unofficial logo of the Town Žilina
From Andrej Hlinka Square there is a prominent view of the Church of the Holy Trinity (Cathedral). The view from Andrej Hlinka Square at the Church of the Holy Trinity (Cathedral) became an unofficial logo of the Town, indeed this still holds true today.
The visitors travelling from the railway station and via National street (Národná ulica) can enjoy a breathtaking view of the tower with its belfry and balustrades. In the square there is the "Singing Fountain“ by Jozef Haščík. Its dominating feature being a heart from which water emerges. In days gone by, at this very location, was a building credited to Frederick Weinwurm and dated from 1925, which housed various shops. The building was removed in 1944, to improve the view of the balustrades and towers.
Source: TIO Žilina (researched from academic literature).
Position of the monument on the map: B4
Number of the monument on the map: 11