The house was built on an original medieval plot from the period, when the town ground plan and the town historical core were formed. The original building had two wings and probably two floors. On the left side there was a passage leading into the plot. It is possible that the object walls are hiding partial remains of the core of an older medieval house, however this could be verified by a thorough in-depth survey only. The house had a cellar with two vault fields that are preserved in their original form. The house could be entered from the passage. There was a so-called black kitchen in the back part of the left wing, which has a Baroque vault ceiling at present. The façade of the ground floor was biaxial, and on the floor façade was three-axial. The house originally had a saddle roof with a ridge across the face and a façade ended by a gable. Based on the preserved stone Renaissance portal with a stone moulding having a bell shaped profile, and based on the preserved vault ceilings with lunettes, this architectural stage dates back to the middle of the 17th century.
Baroque architectural stage formed the building in a most distinct way and much of the Baroque features were preserved until the present. Single-angled staircase with wooden stairs and niches in the bearing wall was added to the basic disposition. The form and the overall look of the façade from this period has been preserved, as well as finishing coat decorations, adjustment of windows with segmented ledges and window openings in lisena frames with a rich profiled cordon and crowning moulding.
During Classicism the building was extended by two wings; it was a narrow corridor with vaulted ceiling and with a parallel, rather large space with a flat ceiling, on the left side. Skylights were made in older vaults and so the roof also changed its look. The vault ceiling on the floor was cancelled but the colourful decorative paintings with antique and Renaissance motifs were preserved. This reconstruction was made approximately in the middle of the 19th century. The passage was paved with a stone paving, the brick paving in the back wing was restored. New entrance and glass openings were made. The fire in 1886, when the original framework and saddle roofs burnt, had a major impact on the look of the building. The roof was replaced by single pitched roof falling towards the square.
In the 20th century the interior premises were adjusted by new partition walls, the passage was cancelled, part of the shop window and the vault façade were changed. A new double-wing door was inserted and iron lattice was added to the gallery at the back of the house. Such impacts had rather negative impact on the house condition. The house No. 30 is situated in a block of semi-detached houses on the southern part of the square and it fits in the overall character of the square. This Renaissance building has two wings and a passage, and it lies on an original medieval plot. At the back it has a Classicistic two-wing annex and Baroque interiors. Any further reconstruction works will have to preserve and respect the older architectural phases of the house.
In the 18th century the house belonged to the Slatíni family. In 1731 the house was owned by Ján Slatíni, in 1779 Daniel Slatíni. The house belonged to the family until 1785, when it was purchased by Jozef Karas for 922 golden coins in an auction. In 1788 he exchanged the house with Anna Schandlová and her brother Aloiz Fluck for their house No. 32 on the square and paid an additional 200 golden coins for the new house. Later, the widow Jaeaneta after Aloiz Fluck, born as Lichnovska von Vostic, became the house owner and owned the house until 1835, when Michal Kadurík purchased the house for 6,000 golden coins in an auction again. After 1850, the house was acquired by Anton Hrabovec and his heirs owned it until nationalisation. The owners were changing so fast since people used to travel and move a lot also in the past. Many craftsmen and tradesmen were coming to Žilina in particular from Tešínsko region, and from other parts of Silesia and Moravia. Aloiz Fluck who married a girl from Lichnovský von Vostic family was one of such person. The family came from Silesia. In period from 1707 to 1773 he was gradually promoted to a Nobleman, an Earl and a Prince. Village Voštice (Woszczyc) awarded him the title. Later, when the family acquired Lichnovský estate at Bruntálsko, they started using the name Lichnovský. Their official title was “Serene Highness”.
Before 1990, a delicatessen shop was in the building and nobody lived on the first floor. A brick vault was found during a reconstruction of the back part of the house in 1974, when a trench for duct for the delicatessen shop was dug. The brick vault had been covering the original well, obviously from the medieval period, built from a quarry stone and filled with several centimetres of high wooden round logs at the bottom. The well was 14 metres deep and it was one of the wells that used to supply the town with water before the duct was built at the beginning of the 20th century. Another two wells dug in Mariánske square are four and two metres shallower. It is caused by the fact that the historical core of the town gradually declines from south to north, which caused the relatively big differences.
This cultural monument has a Renaissance character, the ground floor has a Renaissance – Classicist character and the floor has a Baroque character. The house underwent a complex reconstruction in 1996 according to the design by Ing. arch. Viliam Šlopek.
Source: Peter Štanský and Milan Novák