Near the centre of Žilina, we recommend that you visit the oldest monument in the town – the Church of St. Stephen the King located in the district of Dolné Rudiny, the Považské Museum in Žilina - in the area of Budatín castle and the most westerly wooden church in Slovakia, the Church of St. George in the district of Trnové.
It was built as a watch–castle on the confluence of the Váh and Kysuce rivers, at a trade road junction. Its oldest part is a cylindrical four–storey tower built in the early-Gothic style, probably from the last third of the 13th century.
The late-Romanesque Church of St. Stephen the King, located in the district Rudiny, represents the oldest architectural relic in the territory of the town and belongs among the oldest buildings of its type in north-western Slovakia.
The Church of St. George, the most westerly situated wooden Gothic sacral building in Slovakia, is located in a suburb of Žilina - Trnové. The oldest preserved written report on the church dates back to 1583. The Church of St. George is under reconstruction.
The Chapel of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows is situated at the edge of the town districts of Vlčince and Solinky near the grounds of Žilina University in Veľký Diel. It was built on woodland belonging to the town of Žilina. It is part of the town recreation zone Lesopark Chrasť.
The Royal Customs building dating from 1763 after the pulp mill had been established in 1905, the building was adapted so that one of the factory founders could live there, a chemical engineer Tomáš Nečas. The chapel was built in 1775 and was dedicated to St. Ján Nepomucký.
St. Imrich Church is Classical in style and dates from 1844. It has a single thin vaulted Czech nave and a flat vaulted Prussian chancel. The main altar is Classical and was built in the mid-19th century. On the Classical painted illusionary wall is a canvas painting of St. Imrich.
The cloth factory was put to operation in 1891 and it immediately became the biggest factory of its kind in Slovakia and later in the whole of Hungary. Slovena contributed to the development of the Slovak north-western region in a significant way, and it did not apply to industrial development only.
Forest Restaurant Paľova búda in local part Bôrik – Chrastie had been very popular in the past. Stanislav Bresciani, an architect from nearby Kunerád, designed it in 1925 for Pavol Folkmann, a hotel owner from Žilina. He designed it as a two-floor wooden building in the Swiss style with two small towers.
The Kamélia Restaurant was built in 1941 to 1942 on the land formerly known as the swine meadows close to the Všivák Brook. It was part of a larger project to build a park that had begun in 1936 but which was only worked on intensively from 1940 when Jozef Červinka became chief horticulturalist.
The 17 best architectural works nominated for the 15th edition of the CE∙ZA∙AR awards organised by the Slovak Chamber of Architects in 2016 included the design for a tourist shelter and walkway on Straník.
For several months we watched impatiently as building work took place on Dubeň Hill but at the end, we were pleased to see that the outcome was something unique. Wooden, modern and yet sensitively inserted into a natural setting.