Jewish community significantly affected city face and its events during the time interval in approximately one hundred years (from the second half of the 19th century to the 40s of the 20th century). Until the middle of the 19th century only two Jewish families could live in the town, because the town was not willing to accept more Jews.
Orthodox synagogue is situated in Dlabač´s Street. There is located exhibition of the Museum of Jewish culture. The expository exhibits include sacred objects, being owned by Jewish religious community in Žilina. The synagogue is currently used for spiritual purpose, too.
The neologic synagogue in Hurban´s Street in Žilina was designed by a famous European architect prof. Peter Behrens from Berlin. From the point of view of the entire Slovakia it takes part of the unique civil monuments. Since 2012 the synagogue is under reconstruction.
The old Jewish folk school was situated at Rajecká cesta, today Kuzmányho Street, from 1873. It was a small school and did not meet the requirements of increasing the number of students. According to the design of January 1907 by Karol Grün and son, a firm from Žilina, a new Jewish school was about to be built on the same place.
An annex was built to the Jewish folk school near the Žilina Neologic Synagogue as premises for a gym and club rooms for Makabi. Makabi was an association of Jewish physical education and sport clubs.
A three-storey building with basement was built on Hollého Street as an old people’s home according to designs by Ing. arch. Michal Maximilián Scheer from 1935. The building was commissioned by the Jewish Women's Association in Žilina.
The cemetery lies at the west end of the town in Jesenský Street. At the entrance, there is an iron gate. The exact birth date of the Jewish cemetery is not known. It was administrated by Chevra Kadiša society founded in 1865.
Memorial (reverent) hall in Jesenský Street includes memorial from Sweden granite by architect of Jewish origin Jozef Zweigenthal. It was constructed in memory of the victims of Holocaust.
The concentration centre was designed for 2,500 Jews and it was led by the commander Rudolf Marček. The centre started its operation on 21 March 1942. According to the German lists, 19 transports taking 18,223 Jews for a one way trip departed from Žilina in 1942.
Memorial plaque is devoted to the Merciful Nuns of the St. Vincent Order for saving the lives of nine Jewish children during the Second World War. The plaque is situated by the Church of the Conversion of St. Paul the Apostle on St. Mary´s Square.
It was Arieh Klein (*1927), Žilina´s native living in Jerusalem, who was the author of the idea to build the memorial on the same place, where the old reception camp was.