The renaissance castle was built in the place of an older building (the water castle) from 1571 to 1574 for the Hungarian palatine (viceroy) George Thurzo by his father František Thurzo. George Thurzo continued his father’s activities and due to him the Wedding Palace was built in 1601. Today the castle houses the State District Archive.
The first written mention of Bytča dates back to the first half of the 13th century. Among remarkable places in the town, apart from Bytča Castle, belongs the town square, which is an Protected Historic District, the Parish Church, the Synagogue and the Jewish cemetery with the tomb of the Popper family in the town district of Hliník.
Súľov rocks (National Nature Reserve), built of coarse conglomerate, calcite and sand rocks, create many bizarre terraces, balconies and overhanging rock forms. That is why they are also called The Slovak Dolomites. They are characterized by rich flora and fauna which adorn the Ruins of Súľov Castle.
The oldest indication of Hričov dates back to 1208, when the castle was mentioned as a possession of the Nitra diocese. Among the owners of the castle were the Balaš and Podmanický families, Matthew Csák of Trenčín, William Tettauer, Michael Imrefy and Anna Likarka. Later the castle was acquired by the Thurzo family. The castle began to decay in the 17th century.
A state archive has been established in the Renaissance palace in Bytča, which currently manages over 600 funds and collections from the years 1263 - 2008. Part of the archive is a Reading Room and reference archive library. TIK Žilina organizes excursions into the archive called Secrets of the archive in Bytča.
It is one of the few authentic exhibitions of tinkers‘ craft linked to a particular village. It is located in the building of the Municipal Office in Veľké Rovné. The exhibition focuses on the fields of geology, botany, zoology, archeology, history, ethnography and tinkers‘ craft in the village of Veľké Rovné and in the adjacent settlements.
The Wedding Palace in Bytča is located in the castle area and belongs among the most important Renaissance monuments in Central Europe. The palace was probably built by Italian masters. The construction was completed in 1601. The palace houses a permanent exhibition Wedding Palace - Central European jewel.